This is a delicious way to include lentils in your diet. I mean, who doesn’t like pizza?!
Note that if you have picky kids, don’t call this pizza. Because while the crust is delicious, it does taste different than regular pizza crust. So, use a different term than “pizza”. Such as “flatbreads”. This way picky kiddos won’t expect pizza and they’ll be open to this new dish that’s called “flatbread”.
Also, note that you need to soak the lentils the night before you plan to make this dish.
Lentil Crust Flatbread (Pizza) – Crust Ingredients
2 cups of soaked red lentils (24hr then pureed)
1/2 cup water
1-3 garlic cloves (as per your taste preference)
1 TBSP dried basil
1 TBSP dried oregano
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 TBSP olive oil
Lentil Crust Flatbread (Pizza) Toppings
1 can of tomato puree/sauce
1/2 cup of shredded white mozzarella cheese or feta
Vegetables/protein of your choice
Lentil Crust Flatbread (Pizza) Directions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse and drain lentils and transfer into the food processor.
- Add 3 garlic cloves, dried basil, dried oregano, sea salt, baking powder and ½ cup of water for consistency.
- Puree all the ingredients until smooth.
- Heat a heavy-bottom frying pan over medium heat. Use ~1 tbsp of olive oil to grease the pre-heated pan and pour in the batter. Smooth the batter out with a spoon, it will look like a mini pancake. Make sure the batter is THIN.
- Repeat this step (should make about 8 mini crusts)
- Cook 2-3 minutes on each side. Then, transfer your flatbreads to a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Add your tomato sauce, cheese and toppings.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until cheese is bubbling and brown.
Get more recipes at http://kristenyarker.com/blog/category/recipes
Photo and recipe credit: Amazing student Hanna Kim (Thanks Hanna!)