Looking for a healthy snack?
Need something kid-friendly?
This recipe is nut-free, dairy-free, vegan, gluten-free, and no-sugar-added.
It contains fibre-packed, protein-packed lentils and pumpkin seeds.
Oh, and it’s delicious!
They’re perfect for packed-lunches for kids. And, as an afternoon snack for us adults too.
Need a finger-food version for your baby? Simply cut them into smaller pieces.
Lentil Coconut Energy Bites Ingredients:
- ½ cup cooked green lentils (or lentils from a can)
- ½ cup of pureed pumpkin seeds
- ⅓ cup of dry oats
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 dates
- ¼ cup of chocolate chips (optional)
- ¼ cup of coconut flakes unsweetened (to roll in)
Lentil Coconut Energy Bites Steps:
- Cook the lentils in a pot with water for ~25-30 minutes on medium heat
- In the meantime, puree ½ cup of pumpkin seeds in a food processor until smooth
- Add in fresh dates and continue to puree
- Once you reach a paste-like consistency, add in dry oats, cinnamon, vanilla extract and cooked lentils.
- Transfer into a bowl and add chocolate chips
- Roll into small balls (should make about 9-10)
- On some parchment paper, sprinkle ¼ cup of coconut flakes and roll in the lentil coconut bites
Recipe and photo by Hanna Kim, student (Thanks Hanna!)