Similar to a slushie but made with real fruit, granitas are super refreshing in the summer heat.
They’re easy to prepare. The only tricky thing is to plan ahead so that you’re home and you remember to break up the ice crystals every hour (I set the alarm on my phone to remind me).
Kids can help measure ingredients, push the buttons on the blender, and scrape the ice crystals.
The fruit flavor is strong in granitas. The recipes here are listed from the most mild to the strongest. If your little ones prefer mild flavours, stick to the melon granitas. The kiwi granita is so strong that it almost made my eyes water (which I enjoyed on a hot afternoon).
Fresh Fruit Granitas – Directions
The steps are the same for all the recipes:
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and water.
- Bring sugar water to a boil until the sugar is well dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a blender, combine the fruit (removed from it’s peel and pits), fruit juice (or other liquid), and sugar water.
- Pour into a non-metal baking dish, such as a glass lasagna pan.
- Place in the freezer. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Remove from the freezer and scrape thoroughly with a fork, breaking up the ice crystals.
- Return to the freezer for 1 hour. Again, remove from the freezer and break up the ice crystals with a fork. Repeat at least 2 more times.
Fresh Fruit Granitas – Recipes
1/4 cup sugar
¼ cup water
4 TBSP fresh lemon juice
Adapted from: http://whipperberry.com/2013/06/raspberry-watermelon-granita.html
5 cups cubed, de-seeded watermelon
2.5 cups raspberries
½ cup sugar
½ cup cran-raspberry juice cocktail
(Combine sugar and cran-raspberry juice cocktail in saucepan.)
Adapted from: http://www.muybuenocookbook.com/2013/03/pineapple-and-mango-granita-blendtec-giveaway/
Juice from 2 limes
1/3 cup sugar
1 pineapple, peeled, cored and diced
2 mangos, peeled, pitted, and diced
(There’s no heating the sugar in this recipe. Simply combine all ingredients in a blender.)
Adapted from: http://dhaleb.com/2010/03/
½ cup sugar
½ cup water
1 cup club soda
2 teaspoons lime juice
See more delicious, healthy recipes.