Sometimes we need to be reminded of the classics. Carrot salad is perfect for this time of year – when we’re tired of eating Winter fare but we’re still waiting for Spring and Summer’s local bounty.
Naturally sweet, this is a salad that many non-salad eating picky kids will actually eat.
It’s also a very forgiving recipe – make more or less salad as you wish. Reduce the honey if you find it too sweet, or reduce the amount of dressing if you prefer your salads lightly dressed. Enjoy!
3 cup grated carrot
1 cup raisin, seedless (sultana)
1 tbsp honey (wait to offer babies honey until after 12 months)
6 tbsp mayonnaise (plain yogurt works well too)
1 tsp lemon juice (fresh is best)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
- In a large bowl, combine grated carrots and raisins, tossing lightly.
- In a separate bowl, stir together remaining ingredients.
- Pour mixture over carrots and raisins. Stir carefully until well combined.
- Chill thoroughly before serving.
Deconstructed Version (for kids who don’t like their foods to touch) :
- Set aside some grated raw carrot and raisins. Serve in their own small piles on the plate.
- Set aside a small amount of the dressing in a small dish.